September 04, 2010

A pictorial on our first day of this long weekend....

This weekend we decided to labor on Labor Day. My husband, not the handiest in the bunch (shhhhh), alerted me we would be sealing the driveway. On our own.


Having a decade of painting experience from working in art galleries, I was actually pretty excited. There is something very relaxing about painting to me :)


Finley has caught some kind of bug this weekend, so she hung out in her jammies and checked in on us every once in a while. Yes, in about a year when she outgrows them they will become part of an SLD dress ;)


I have to admit, I was a little nervous about leaving her in the house all afternoon while we worked. I've always been one of those mothers, hovering on being a helicopter parent (pun intended ;) because for the most part, Finley was never very easily 'entertained' and often needed a lot of my attention. But my husband convinced me she would be fine.

At a certain point (probably from boredom ;) she had some kind of Cinderella moment and ran inside to put on her dress and start sweeping.


The disapeared inside and began the crafting extravaganza.


She worked for several hours, on her own, and marveled at her handiwork.



She was so proud....




The artist busy in her studio.... No matter what I did, she wouldn't pay me any attention.



And, wait for it.....Lesson of the Day:



My kid kicked butt entertaining herself!! She did me so proud! I know, sounds weird to be proud of your kid while you technically are neglecting them. Ha! But she learned a massive lesson too. She doesn't need me every few minutes to entertain her (though she tried for quite a while). She created about 8 'detailed beyond belief collages' and went through two rolls of tape. Her creativity was through the roof, and I couldn't be more proud!

Even though this was the aftermath ;)



Next project? Apparently we are pressure washing and staining the deck tomorrow. Should I bother cleaning up the studio? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment